* Back To Main Menu * Central Pa. News * Clergy Sex Abuse * Jerry Sandusky Scandal * Medical Marijuana * Opioid Crisis * Nation & World News * Pa. Politics * Business * Harrisburg * Obituaries * Crime * Weather * Traffic * Special Projects * Site Index
* Sports ›‹
* Back To Main Menu * Penn State Football * Philadelphia Eagles * Pittsburgh Steelers * Ravens * Recruiting * High School Sports * Fantasy Football * Little League World Series
* Penn State Sports * Penn State Wrestling
* Penn State Football ›‹
* Back To Main Menu * Recruiting * Videos
* PSU Columnists ›‹
* Back To Main Menu * Bob Flounders
* David Jones * Greg Pickel
* High School Sports ›‹
* Back To Main Menu * High School Football
* High School Basketball
* High School Wrestling
* All Sports
* Life & Culture ›‹
* Back To Main Menu * 100 Years of Heroes * Entertainment * Cool Spaces * Proms * Movies * Gardening * Comics Kingdom * Events * Puzzles
* Back To Main Menu * Homes for Sale * New Homes * For Rent * Foreclosures * Commercial
* Real Estate News * Home Buying * Sell My Home * Rental Living * Home Ideas * Mortgages and Loans
* I’m Moving
* Local Businesses * Special Sections
* Connect With Us ›‹
* Back To Main Menu * Our Staff * Subscribe * Contact Us * Facebook * Twitter * YouTube * Instagram * Place an Obituary
* Place An Ad
* Back To Main Menu * The Patriot-News * Newsletters * Mobile Apps * Steelers Update Podcast
Back To Main MenuClose
Customize Your Weather Set Your Location:
Enter City and State or Zip Code
Congratulations! Your weather is set to . You can change the location at any time.
AccuWeather.com Quick Look Change your current location »
Current Tonight TomorrowView Full Weather Report
Subscribe Account Menu
* Sign in › * Create your account › * My Profile › * Manage My Subscription * Newsletters * Activate Digital Account
Signed in as: Sign Out
* Life & Culture
LENT 2020: WHY DO PEOPLE CELEBRATE IT? WHEN DOES IT START? WHEN DOES IT END?
Today 7:21 PM
The Ash Wednesday noon Mass at Saint Patrick Cathedral in Harrisburg. The holy season of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, February 14, 2018. Christians mark the beginning of this 40 day period with Masses and the distribution of ashes. Dan Gleiter | firstname.lastname@example.orgHAR
By Julia Hatmaker | email@example.com
WHAT IS LENT?
Lent is a period of time between Ash Wednesday
where Christians focus on spiritual purification, meditation and penance. It lasts around 40 days, not including Sundays, drawing from the 40 days Jesus fasted in the desert before starting his ministry.
WHO PARTICIPATES IN IT?
Lent is practiced by most Christian groups, including Roman Catholics, Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Methodists and Lutherans. However, it is not generally practiced by Baptists. More on why Baptists do not participate in Lent.
DO YOU HAVE TO GIVE SOMETHING UP?
Not necessarily. The focus of the season is on spiritual growth and connection with God. Oftentimes Christians choose to take on something during Lent, like reading more of the Bible or completing daily devotions.
Fasting is a traditional part of Lent, but not everyone does it. Its purpose is to symbolize penance and remorse for one's sins. This can also be done by giving up a luxury or by completing acts of charity.
In addition to the standard fasting routine, Catholics traditionally give up eating meat on Fridays during Lent, except for fish.
DO NON-CHRISTIANS PARTICIPATE?
Lent has gradually become secularized by many, serving as a chance to give up bad habits. If you skipped making a New Year’s resolution, or already lapses on your plans of self-improvement, now is a great time to give it another try.
WHEN DOES LENT BEGIN?
Lent starts on Ash Wednesday , which is on Feb. 26 this year.
The day before Ash Wednesday, known as Shrove Tuesday, is traditionally a day of feasting before the fasting begins. This includes eating fatty foods, which has also led the day to be called Fat Tuesday -- which in French translates to “Mardi Gras.”
* READ MORE: What is Fat Tuesday? Is it the same as Mardi Gras? And when is it?
* READ MORE: Ash Wednesday 2020: Why do people celebrate it? What is the significance?
WHEN DOES LENT END?
For most Protestant churches it concludes on the Holy Saturday -- the day before Easter. For Roman Catholics, however, it concludes on Holy Thursday/Maundy Thursday - the day before Good Friday, which is the Friday before Easter.
WHAT ARE THE MAJOR DAYS IN LENT?
As a 40-day holy season, it's not surprising there are a few particularly important days in the mix.
* Ash Wednesday: Held on Feb. 26 this year, this is marks the start of Lent. * Palm Sunday: Held on April 5 this year, Palm Sunday commemorates Jesus’ welcome into Jerusalem. * Maundy Thursday: Held on April 9 this year, Maundy Thursday honors the date of the Last Supper, when Jesus and his disciples shared a final meal together before Jesus was arrested by the Romans. * Good Friday: Held on April 10 this year, this commemorates the day that Jesus was crucified and died. * Easter Sunday: Held on April 12, this is the day that celebrates Jesus’ resurrection.
_This post is adapted from a __March 5, 2014 story_ _ and a __February 2016 story._
Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.
AROUND THE WEB
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
Genetics Digest Montana Man Discovers He Has Oldest DNA in AmericaGenetics Digest
Petlab Co. If Your Dog Suffers From Bad Joints, Try This Simple TipPetlab Co.
Forge of Empires - Free Online Game The Must-Play City Building Game this Year.Forge of Empires - Free Online Game
Fetcharate Do This Before Making Your Next House Payment (It's Genius)Fetcharate
comparisons.org Major Medicare Changes Are Coming In 2020 - Seniors Shouldn't Miss Outcomparisons.org
Rakuten I Tried This Macy's Trick That's All Over The Internet And It's AmazingRakuten
by Taboola by Taboola
Sponsored Links Sponsored Links
Promoted Links Promoted Links
Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site.
If you are a California resident, you may make your DO NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION (DNS) request(s) below. Before you do, we hope you will read this for additional context.
THE ADVERTISING YOU SEE IS CRITICAL TO OUR ABILITY TO FUND THE HIGH-QUALITY CONTENT YOU EXPECT. We strive to make this content and the advertisements you see, relevant, timely and inspiring. To help us do so, we use data to supplement the great work generated by our content creators.
The CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT (CCPA) considers the sharing of some of this data, particularly when used for the third-party’s commercial advertising purposes, to be a “SALE” of personal data even if no money is exchanged. IF YOU WANT US TO STOP “SELLING” YOUR DATA, TOGGLE THE "SALE OF PERSONAL DATA" BUTTON BELOW TO THE LEFT SO THAT IT IS “OFF” OR CALL THE 1-800 #.
WE WILL CONTINUE TO SHARE DATA WITH SERVICE PROVIDERS, WHO USE THE DATA ON OUR BEHALF, AFTER YOU MAKE A DNS REQUEST, MEANING YOU WILL STILL SEE ADVERTISING . This advertising may include interest-based advertising data about your visit and data from third parties. To learn more about interest-based advertising across sites and additional opt-out choices you can visit one of the following industry sources: http://optout.aboutads.info/#/ , http://optout.networkadvertising.org/# , and http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices .
or call 1-888-914-9661 PIN: 981105.
Return to Site
MANAGE COOKIE PREFERENCES
SALE OF PERSONAL DATA
STRICTLY NECESSARY COOKIES
Always Active These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
Confirm My Choices
Back Button Back
Vendor Search Search Icon Filter Icon
Information storage and accessApply
All Consent Allowed
Select All Vendors All Consent Allowed
Name cookie name
Host cookie host
Duration cookie duration
Type cookie type
Category cookie category
Description cookie category
View Privacy Notice
Location Based Ads
Legitimate Interest Purposes
Location Based Ads
Confirm My Choices
California law considers some of this activity to be a “sale” of personal data. To learn more and make choices, click on "Do Not Sell My Information."
Do Not Sell My Personal Information Continue to Site
Want to support quality, local journalism?
For Only $5!
Already a paid subscriber?
Log In close dialog
Never Miss the Top Stories in Pennsylvania
When you sign up for _Good Morning, Pennsylvania_
Email Address Please enter above Send Me the Top Stories
Already have a PennLive account?
Thank you for enrolling in our newsletter
Get Your First Month of Unlimited Local News for $5
Includes subscriber-exclusive newsletters, apps, the eNewspaper and unlimited digital access